Wednesday, May 7, 2008

ICT devices and me

I am a little old school in my ways. I like photo albums and on some occasions I just like to remember events in my mind, rather than interrupt the natural flow of things by gathering folk together into an unnatural pose for a photo opportunity. Having said that, I have joined the digital camera club and I do find it a great and inexpensive way to send pictures home to my family. Coming to New Zealand to study has meant that I've had to drag myself into the 21st Century and become more techno-savvy. It has also meant that my family have been forced to do the same. My mother, who owns a mobile but prefers not to turn it on (ever), has had to master email and Skype (telephoning or video linking using a web camera via the internet) in order to stay in touch without expense.

I use a broad range of ICT devices: text messaging, internet (email, skype, research, banking), library catalogues, PC to write assignments, digital cameras, telephone, pager (used in hospitals by staff) and radio. There are probably more.

Facebook is an social networking site that I have joined in order to keep up to date with friends overseas. I don't edit my profile or add pictures because I'm uncomfortable with personal details and information being available to others on the world wide web. I don't wholly trust that these sites are secure and only those that you have 'invited' can view them. Also, if friends put photos on their profile that include you, you're powerless to do anything about it. It's all very unnerving for the more private individual. It is a very time consuming activity and can be overwhelming with the number of 'friends' that you have to keep up with. I remain a very inactive member of the facebook phenomenon.

No comments: